So I've already tried writing this post once before; however, I was a little bitter and decided I should wait a day or two. I guess I should give some background for everybody so you know where I'm coming from. About two months after we moved into our duplex under some friends who also owned the place, our friends (and landlords) decided to build a house and sell the duplex. Within a month after that we had a new landlord and a new set of neighbors upstairs. (This time the landlord doesn't live here.)
At first, I was okay with the arrangement. Our new neighbors consisted of a mom, her recently-divorced son, and granddaughter. I really enjoyed getting to know them. Pretty soon I started feeling like a prisoner in my own home as I kept windows closed and tried to protect Jackson from the "shady" behaviors that when on outside. Oh, I can't forget to mention the cursing and yelling I got to hear when I was inside. It wasn't an every day problem, but needless to say that we quit being surprised over things that started happening.
Things simmered down, and we didn't have any problems for a while. It was just the normal ups and downs - living here because we get a steal on rent. This past Sunday night, however, I reached my ultimate breaking point when we were getting ready for bed, and a fight ensued upstairs in the room right above us. When you can hear every word, and you hear the 25-year old son treating his mother (once again) like she knows and is nothing, all peace leaves your home. Believe me, listening to a 25-year old man screaming and throwing a tantrum like our three-year old is not as entertaining as it is scary and uncomfortable -- especially when you get to hear EVERY SINGLE WORD coming out of his mouth. No sensors available, but if there had been, I'm sure the "bleeping" would have given me a headache.
On Monday we called the landlord and said, "It's either them or us." Well, the landlord is ready for them to leave as well. The son lies through his teeth constantly. You can bet that any promise of good will from him is a lie. Don't get me wrong, he can be polite, courteous, nice, and even funny at times, but I get lucky once in a while and get to enjoy the mean, cussing one. Good news, though. According to our landlord, they will be out within a month and a half. I can endure it that long, I think. I know that they are leaving, and so I won't be prisoner in my house anymore.
So, all of you homeowners out there, be grateful for your own yard, driveway, and walls. I'm sure you have some enjoyable neighbors as well, but at least you don't have to listen to the yelling and screaming in the middle of your prayer time.
PS. I have met some of my best friends right here in our circle. It's just the ones that I get to hear from and worry about every day that are driving us crazy.
You should play your music really loud and hit the adjoining walls with a broom!
ReplyDeleteLeMira that stinks! I hate when your kids have to hear that crap! I am glad that they are moving ;-)
ReplyDelete