Thursday, June 28, 2007

How LeMira got Matt to marry her

Okay, so I've decided to write about how I met Matt. I hope you enjoy it!

By my sophomore year at college, I had finally become content with who I was, and I realized that all boys/men whatever age they may be notice who they want when they want. I quit trying to get them to notice me at this point (you don't need to know some of the very DUMB things I did). I was content and finally had friends that were friends who cared about me. At this point I also hated church-sponsored dances. It seems it's a time for guys to finally get the courage to ask the hot girls out and for ordinary girls like me to "mingle" while resting my back on a wall. After a gymnastics meet, my friend Michelle and I decided to pop into the ward's Winter opening social. While I was there watching, and sort of mingling, I noticed that the new roommate in my Family Home Evening brothers' (I know, it's one of those mormon terms) apartment. Our eyes locked for a brief moment, and I got to stare into those baby blues of his. I could tell he was someone who liked to have fun, but he didn't wear his emotions on his sleeve. (I was always attracted to the quieter ones -- something mysterious I guess.) I couldn't get his face out of my mind, but later learned that he didn't even remember that moment.

So, my attraction began with carefully analyzing his every move. Now, I didn't get all stalker-girl on him; I just was trying to figure him out. Our first FHE of that semester was held at the Malt Shoppe. It was there that I learned that Matt had just broken up with his girlfriend and that she worked at the Malt Shoppe. She wasn't there while we were, but I couldn't help teasing Matt and little and giving him a bad time. You could call it flirting. A few weeks into knowing him, we were really well-versed into the teasing thing. We were teasing so bad one night that our FHE brothers and sisters had to tell us to be nice to each other. Of course, Matt and I looked at each other and started laughing.

I found out where Matt worked and began "studying" there. He was a mail runner, and so I would try to catch his eye inconspicuously. He even said to me once, "I didn't know you studied here." Hey, any Matt time I could get, I was there. I made up reasons to call him. He was in an astronomy class, and I asked him if I could go star-gazing with him. Believe it or not, we saw at least 2 shooting stars while there, and yes, I made wishes involving Matt. Eventually we started meeting in the student center for lunch. Of course, I made it accidental at first, but pretty soon I could tell Matt was looking for me, too. That's where we became friends. I remember one day thinking, I think he's my best friend. Yet, we hadn't gone on an "official" date yet.

Matt had his eyes set on someone else. He didn't know it, but my heart was secretly breaking as I watched him sit by Jessica at ward prayer and try to get her to pay attention to him. Finally one day while eating lunch, Matt said that he had gone on a date with her and that it was just odd. They didn't click. I can't tell you how hard I had try to keep my composure.

You remember hearing the stories about getting light-headed over a guy, feeling the fireworks, or going weak in the knees? I never thought those things happened until they happened to me. I remember accidentally running into Matt on campus and briefly saying "Hi," and suddenly I didn't think I could stand up anymore. My knees didn't work! Then when he finally called to ask me on a date, I got all light-headed and couldn't think straight for the entire phone call. He was the first guy EVER to officially ask me out on a date. I almost didn't know what to say.

We went to a Rockapella concert (remember "Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?" They sing that theme song). That night I had a dream that we were secretly engaged. Weird and scary and exhilarating. After that we started dating on a weekly basis. When we first held hands, fireworks -- kid you not.

Basically, two months after dating we were engaged. Of course, I had a little help from my mom with that one. I told her that Matt needed to come home for a weekend (my brother's wedding) to meet the family. Not getting the hint, Mom pressures why, and I tell her that we're thinking marriage. Of course, being overly stressed, she starts the inquisition wanting to know all the details, etc. Matt hadn't even proposed. Pretty much immediately after I told him about my conversation with my mom, Matt proposed to me while sitting on the picnic bench on the lawn in front of my apartment building. Don't worry, a few days later, he took me out for the day and "officially" proposed. Anyway, two months after that, we were married. That's how I caught my husband.

This is at my surprise birthday party my roommates threw for me. I'd just gotten off from work. Matt gave me my ring the next day.


Here we are at an open house my brother threw for us for our friends before we were married. The little leg in the back behind Matt's is my niece's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you are thinking!