We had to wake Jackson up and tell him that Santa had come. He woke to find a new CD player plugged in and ready to go. His response, "Where's red CD player?" (His first one was red.) Luckily he soon moved on from that thought and is just happy to control his music.
Finally, I loved everything I received, but my most favorite gift of all . . .
Jackson is potty-trained! Okay, so we have some fine-tuning to do, and we definitely have to work on the night-time training (but not for a little while), but my child can tell me when he needs to go, and he usually makes it. My advice to you is wait until your child is really ready. If you try once, and it's just too frustrating for you and your child, wait a few months, and try again. I wasn't really sure at first how this attempt (#2) was going to go until we started off. It's been pretty easy to deal with because HE WAS READY!! I know we all get confused at what ready means, but he was. We went cold turkey from diapers to underwear during the day (nighttime is still diapers for a while), and he could handle it. Yes, there were accidents, but not too many, and he understood what it meant to go on the potty and after three days he learned to recognize when he needs to go. He hasn't had an accident for a few days now, and I'm sure he'll have more, but they are few and far between. Hip, hip hooray!!
P.S. My child is almost 4 years old, and it's not because he's an only child that he wasn't ready until now. I have a niece and a nephew that weren't trained or even interested until they were 4 and 4 1/2, and they both have older siblings and very vigilant parents who tried and tried. So, don't fret about the age so much(even though you probably will because I did), they will get it eventually!
I'm so glad for you about Jackson's potty-training! And I especially appreciate your "P.S." and words of advice. It is so hard, as a parent, to keep from thinking that your kids' successes/failures are YOUR successes/failures. Thanks for the encouragement.
ReplyDeleteSo cute about Jackson wanting to play with his first toy rather than opening the rest. Logan was the same way -- we paced things out quite a bit!
potty training is not fun but i think the effective way is to know what your child's favorite thing to do. that's what i did with jacob and it really works. i potty trained him before he turns 3 years old and we successfully did it. i planned to potty train my second son in january. wish me luck!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! That's awesome news!
ReplyDeleteWow--I didn't know that about kids wanting to play with their first toy before opening the rest. It makes sense though...now I'm prepared...
I agree with Beth on your PS comment. One mother told me, "Oh I had my girls sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old."--Like I was doing something wrong. The #1 thing I've learned as a parent is that there are not a whole lot of RIGHTS and WRONGS. IF you're doing your best and loving your child then it's mostly WORKS for ME or DOESN'T work FOR ME. Way to go with your potty training!
Congrats on the potty training! That is fantastic!
ReplyDeleteWay to go on the potty training! I've had lots of moms tell me that their kids were almost 4 before they were potty trained. I'm not looking forward to that stage in Carson's life. But I'm sure I have a long while before that happens.
ReplyDeleteTangent:
ReplyDeleteI see you changed the opacity on your template. Awesome! It was hard to see the pictures sometimes.
Also, way to go on the potty training.