Thursday, December 6, 2007

Patience Pays

(May 31, 2005: A picture taken the day after one of Jackson's scar-tissue removals. You can see that he had to wear an eye patch -- very annoying and hard on a little guy.)
Three years ago we started a very long journey regarding Jackson's eye sight. Due to his prematurity and issues relating to his hospital stay, etc. We found out Jackson had cataracts, and that they had to be removed. We had three options after removing the cataracts: coke-bottle glasses, contacts, or lens implants. Since I couldn't see how coke-bottle glasses were going to help his eyesight improve, nor could I envision putting contacts in an infant's eyes, we went with the more expensive, newer idea: the implants. It was a long road. There were the initial surgeries to insert the lenses, and then there were scar tissue-removal surgeries, and now we do eye-pressure checks to make sure Jackson glaucoma (as a result from the surgeries) stays in check. Don't forget the countless eye drops we've bought and used as well as the check-ups in the office and the glasses he now has. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), we've spent a few thousand dollars just for his eyes. I admit it it's been very time-consuming, stressful: emotionally and financially, and sometimes just down-right annoying.

Well, today we went in for a check-up with the eye doctor, and he informed us that all the patience, time, and money has paid off. Despite the need for more check-ups under anesthesia (they now are becoming fewer and fewer, thank goodness), Jackson's eye sight is very good. The implants were the way to go. I've also been able to see dramatic improvement in Jackson's development, especially in the beginning when we first had the surgeries done. As hard as it it's been, I don't regret our decision to have the implants. I also am very grateful that we've stayed with the doctor we do, although I have to drive an hour each way to see him. I don't regret it at all.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm glad it was worth all of the work! Little Jackson looks so cute in that picture with the patch. I love how he's still smiling so big!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!