Thursday, January 24, 2008

Reconnecting

First off, my apologies that this is a long, wordy one. A while ago I joined Facebook since I received an invitation from someone that I can't remember who sent it to me. At first, I started seeing all of my BYU friends on there, but that didn't really excite me as I already had their blog addresses and I much prefer to read their blogs. Then four of my brothers and my husband's siblings were using Facebook. Then I started finding friends from high school.

Like many people high school for me was essential, but something I didn't mind leaving behind and moving on and out ASAP. In fact, after moving to BYU, it wasn't long that I lost track of almost everybody I was "friends" with in high school. I kept up a little bit via my mom and dad. It's pretty easy to do since there were less than 50 students in my graduating class, and I knew most of them since elementary school, and most of their parents still live in that area.

Anyway, maybe it's because this year is my ten year reunion (and they're actually planning one) that I'm suddenly thinking about all the people I knew in high school. I'm finally forgiving myself and others for the way we acted as teenagers. It is harder for me to forgive some people and remember that they have changed as well. Unfortunately, the scars of high school linger long after the injury. I've had to do a lot of changing about the way I feel and think about myself and about how others view me.

In spite of my feelings about high school, I've been surprised about how excited I've been to catch up with people and reconnect with them via the internet. Maybe it's the feeling of being "home" again. I admit that the class reunion has been a source of inner turmoil for me, but I have enjoyed reconnecting with some friends. I've even been considering attending the reunion in May. My biggest drawback, it's on Memorial Day, and I usually reserve that day for Clarissa. Actually, I'm probably just using the holiday as an excuse not to go because there are ways take care of that issue, too. I still have a month or two to make my decision.

Oh, and I'm finally brave enough to post a couple of my senior pictures. A local photographer took them for me. One is in my front yard (the one with flowers if you couldn't figure it out), and the other is taken at a local state park in the area.

3 comments:

  1. Gotta love those bangs! I think every girl in America had those at one point, including me. You actually look pretty much the same, except much more in style :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Gosh. That means this year should be my ten year reunion as well. I had forgotten. Maybe I can forget again...
    Good luck on reunioning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny Lemira, I just joined facebook to see a family members wedding pictures. And all these people from my high school are try to contact me (I went to Catholic School in Iowa). I really don't know what to do. I am kind of like whatever. I don't feel any desire to have contact with them. They all made fun of me for being a member of the church.
    A couple of weeks ago I found a huge stack of my senior pictures. I just laughed really hard. I don't want to throw in the trash because they cost a lot of money...But I know that is what I am going to end up doing.
    I think everyone should post their senior pictures so we can all have a good laugh...Mine are so STUPID.

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!