Monday, February 11, 2008

I spoke too soon

Some of you will remember my post a couple of months ago about how Jackson's eyes were doing. Well, I think I was too excited. Recently, a couple of weeks ago, Jackson had another exam under anesthesia (EUA). These seem very routine for us, and I was starting to not be so annoyed by them because they were going to be few and far between. Well, at the last EUA, Jackson's eye doctor informed us that he was concerned about the optic nerve in his right eye cupping due to the high pressure in his right eye (as a result of all of the previous eye surgeries). He showed us pictures to illustrate. Basically, it's time to be scared about glaucoma surgery.

So, here's the scoop. We will be trying some new "very-hard-to-find" eye drops for a month. (We're nervous about the cost of the drops due to the "rarity" of them.) Then in a month Jackson will have another EUA to determine if the pressure in his eye has gone down. If not, then they will do immediate surgery. Glaucoma is a very delicate and tricky surgery. Something we're hoping NOT to have to make Jackson do. However, if he needs surgery and we don't do it, and the pressure rises, the result: blindness (scary). The doctor even said to cross our fingers. Forget that, man, we're praying and praying hard!!

P.S. This is one reason why having a preemie is a very, very long journey even after the baby comes home from the hospital.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds scary. I pray everything goes well and that you and the doctors will know what to do. Hopefully those drops will work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're praying for you guys! That sounds like no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I really hope that these drops work! His eyes are such a beautiful blue. Doctors can do amazing things now a days, but I really hope he doesn't have to have teh surgery

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!