Sunday, June 22, 2008

Matt's pictures

Since we bought our new camera several months ago, Matt has been trying different shots with it. Here are a bunch of pictures that he's taken lately that I really like.

Hobble Creek
A weed or grass of some sort
yellow flower -- wish I knew the actual name
Hot Wheels Racing Track
Dandelion
"Helicopter" seeds
Roses from our rose bush

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Cool photos. The yellow flower looks almost like a California Poppy... but they're usually a little more orangish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are your plant IDs:

    The grass is Orchardgrass (Dactylis glomerata). It's a pretty common grass that was originally from Eurasia and according to my book North American Range Plants is "especially relished by deer."

    The yellow flower is a buttercup (Ranunculus sp.). It's an introduced species from Europe and toxic to cattle (according to Weeds of the West).

    The helicopter seeds are on a maple (Acer sp.)of some sort. The seeds are technically double-winged samaras. I always liked that phrase.

    Thanks for the chance to pull out my old botanical texts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah. And the pictures are cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those are such simple things to take pictures of but they look amazing! Great job Matt! I look forward to the day when we can have a nicer camera. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's kinda funny, Lisa and I had the same idea with the identification . . . I was going to pull out my old text, "A Utah Flora" to identify the buttercup as well . . . Thanks for making that one less thing on my "to do" list Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!