Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Critter

So, what do you think of when you think of Arizona? Blue skies, scorching heat, swimming pools, cacti? Well, mostly I think of Matt's brother Alan who is serving a mission there -- he'll be home in a month! Anyway, he had our name for Christmas and asked what we'd like. Since all of my brothers have served missions in different countries and all have given me something to put on a wall or a shelf to display, I thought it would be great to have something representing Alan's mission.

Today we received Alan's package. I immediately pulled out the letter and began reading it. I was excited to hear his explanations. He started talking about the pictures, and so we pulled them out.

And then the arrowheads he made out of glass -- pretty cool huh?!


And then I read the part about a "critter" and "don't scream." Then I knew it couldn't be good. When I read what the critter was, well, I'll let "him" explain it to you.*






















Did you shudder and laugh at the same time? Me, too. Now who's going to put that thing back in the box?!
Not I, shuddered Mommy.

*The Critter is handled exclusively by Matt -- Jackson's not afraid either thanks to holding snakes at school.

13 comments:

  1. Eww, I hate snakes and that is expecially up-close! By the way, the guy in our ward is a Bulloch, and he said he still has relatives that live in Panaca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to follow my blog

    http://shannonthedomesticgoddess101.blogspot.com/

    I'm following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left a comment before that last one, but it doesn't look like it saved it.

    I would have screamed if I saw that thing in a box as well! I also would not have touched it again - lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the...? He sent a snake through the mail?!? Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is nice of him to send something unique from his mission. For me, that snake would not go on a shelf in my house...I would let DA take it to work. As you can tell, I do not like snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AAAAHHH! Sheesh...eeewwww...ummmm, nope, not gonna go there. eek.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything was cool until the snake. Although I am thinking some pretty cool pranks could be played with that thing.... hummm, something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does that rattler mean that Elder Alan has "met" some real ones in Arizona? hmmmmmm....
    Only one month left.
    Loved the TicklesforJackson hand!
    Mom-Ruth Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is totally the kind of thing that my brother serving in North Carolina would send to us because it was "awesome".

    What did you do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh! I'm with you, I would have screamed, then laughed, then left the box closed, or taped it closed again. I guess you'll never forget Arizona! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know what is sad Lem. My parents have one of those...that they bought...on purpose! They thought that was cool!!! Totally an Olson move that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow.

    That is way too real looking. And now I want to get one too!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!