My dear friend Shayla just sent this music video to me. Get out your tissues, it will make you cry. Just because we've bought a house doesn't mean we're not anticipating our baby!
I cried more for our future birth mom than I did for me. I can only imagine the feelings she will experience.
***Updated info I received from Shayla, and that you can read online:
Quoting from Shayla's email:
"I got to wondering if the singer in the video might be singing about his own life. Sure enough, he was adopted when he was two weeks old.
When Mark Schultz wrote the song 'Everything to Me,' the story of a young mother choosing to place her newborn baby into the care of an adoptive family, he had more than just a pro-life sentiment in mind. He had his life in mind. Because that young mother was his mom.
Schultz's adoptive parents cheered him on as he played football, basketball, baseball, ran track, sang and did theater in high school. "I'd score a touchdown or whatever, and my father would yell, 'That's my son!' He loved us all the same. It was a neat, positive experience. I got the best parents in the world."
Schultz feels that being adopted causes him to appreciate life more. "I don't take anything for granted. I wake up in the morning and thank God that I'm alive. Adoption is such a gift."
"My birthmother carried me for nine months and made the hardest decision in her life, giving me to a family who could love me and give me the opportunities she couldn't. My birthmother thought about me and not herself."
That prodded Schultz to write "Everything to Me," since he realized he was finally ready to approach the subject in song.
"Until then, I hadn't thought it through all the way, and I wasn't mature enough," he says. "I also wasn't sure how my parents would take it. I didn't want them to think that I don't consider them my real parents, because they are my real parents. I think the song not only thanks my birthmother, but it also thanks my parents. They are such a godly influence and such great people.'"
This is so good. Maybe becuase the whole giving birth and holding the child right after is so fresh to me. I can't imagine having to give her away. Brave women they are. I hope that you get your moment of holding a newborn soon. (oh, and the oreo video after is great too!!)
ReplyDeleteThat is a great adoption song. I should have followed your advice to go get a tissue first, I needed it! I read about the singer/songwriter and he himself was adopted. I think that adds a little something extra to the already touching song.
ReplyDeleteI love the song. Thanks for posting that LeMira. I think I am going to have to get that song! BTW- I posted it on my blog too!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!! BTW Congrats on the new house, i'm so excited for your little family!!
ReplyDelete