Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pet Peeve


Okay, people, time for another gripe. For the first time ever, I'm one person out of thousands (I'm assuming) that makes up the mass of people attending Education Week on BYU's campus. In years past, I've avoided campus like I would a plague because of all of the people who don't know where they're going or how to get there. Thus, Education Week looks like mass confusion on campus. Thank goodness that I do know where the parking lots and various buildings are and how to get to them, and that I don't mind walking everywhere. Very good for the health.

Yesterday was the first day, and I attended a couple very good sessions. Since it was Tuesday, my mom, my aunt, and I attended the devotional by Pres. Boyd K. Packer. This is where my pet peeve falls. A BYU devotional follows the same pattern: Opening hymn, introduction by the university president, opening prayer, musical number, introduction of speaker (sometimes), featured speaker, closing prayer all in a 40-minute time frame. Pres. Packer gave a great talk about Satan and avoiding him and how to keep him out of our lives. It was uplifting, ended on time, and I could feel the spirit.

Then IT happened.

As soon as Pres. Packer sat down, it was as if a rushing wind was coming from somewhere -- the sound was there, but no wind. Why? Because suddenly there were many, many people rising from their seats, rushing up the stairs out of the Marriott Center to "hit the deck" as it were before the closing prayer. Spirit= gone; rushed out with the mass exodus.

I get so confused why people do this, unless it's because they really, really have to make a mad dash to the bathroom (this is always forgivable -- no one wants a mess!). The speaker ended right on time, and the prayer was timely as well leaving ample time to get to the next class or to get to the parking lot. Personally, if you are going to attend a meeting that is going to be very full, you really ought to stay for the entire thing and plan to stay. If you really are cutting it too close to have to be somewhere else by the time it finishes, then don't come, or show up 30 minutes early, and pick an easy-exit seat. Plan ahead! (Seriously, half of the people who rose to make the mad dash ended up standing halfway up the stairs when the prayer was given anyway.) Please, I'm asking you, show some respect and reverence.

Gripe over. Venting done.

7 comments:

  1. That's like when people get up and leave before the closing prayer in Stake Conference so they can get out of the parking lot before everyone else. Come on, people!!
    Oh, and thanks for your implied tip on facebook...believe me when I say I've tried pretty much everything people have suggested! Apparently it is NOT time for him to be born yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like it either. It's like their treating a devotional like a basketball game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So TRUE!!! I totally agree! My hubby gave a lesson on reverence and everyone seemed to agree on this point. Part of being REVERENT is staying the ENTIRE meeting--that is, until the closing song and prayer are said and done! Reverence, PEOPLE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the previous comments about the mass exodus. That is so not cool, and what kind of example does it give our children if they are with us?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more. If you're gonna cut time so close that you have to be completely rude, just don't show.
    I'd much rather have "no shows" than a ton of rude people leave in the middle of my talking!

    Also, if you don't mind, would you check out my newest blog post?

    http://jerricapuck.blogspot.com/2009/08/anyone-need-santa-letters.html

    I'd appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say hi and that I am sorry for not getting back with you. you probably never want to speak to me again and I don't blame you, but it has been so crazy. no excuses right? We moved!!!! To Spanish Fork. We are so excited to be in a home and back over this way. We will have you over!! i hope all is well and now that we are settled I would love to get together. I will call you. Take care and I love to read your blog you are the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just had to comment that your police beat post cracked me up. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!