Yesterday we had our traditional first Family Home Evening lesson about Jesus' birth and the REASON for celebrating Christmas followed by our tree decorating party. Matt and I discussed doing an "elegant" tree this year, but since we only have one tree, and I'm too cheap this year to get a second one for downstairs (which I want to do eventually), we have our "family" decorated tree in our bay window.
This year we have several ways to countdown to Christmas: a chain, a nativity puzzle, and a cute advent calendar house that I bought from Target this morning. The house has 25 doors, and in each door I put some candy and a piece of the nativity puzzle to put on every night. Of course, my favorite way to countdown to Christmas is Jackson's reminders all throughout the day. He squeals several times to remind me. Yesterday he asked if we could make gingerbread men. If he knew how much I look forward to that tradition, he wouldn't need to ask!
Sounds like you have some fun traditions! After Christmas sales are the ticket if you want a 2nd tree. That's the only way we buy any holiday decorations. It stinks waiting a WHOLE YEAR before you can actually use them but then it's like Christmas BEFORE Christmas the next year when you pull out all this new stuff. That's how we got our "elegant" tree, which we DARED decorate all the way to the bottom with a 2-year-old around. So far so good...
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to one day have a kid old enough to be excited about Christmas. Ours can tell something is up but doesn't quite understand what it's all about yet. He really DOES look excited!!
I'd like to do gingerbread men too! I've never done them . . . maybe you can do two rounds?
ReplyDeleteIsn't it neat how kids bring back the magic!? Have fun with the gingerbread men, and be sure to post pictures!
ReplyDelete