Thursday, April 15, 2010

Imaginative Play

On the first day of spring break when I got out of the shower, Jackson called to me, and when I looked in his room, this is what I saw.



Jackson's very next question was, "Mom, do you want to play 'School' with me?" With it all set up, the penguins in line, how could I decline that offer? I'm pleased that he finally loves imaginative play; for a while, I was worried and wondered why he wouldn't ask to play this way. Then I realized why.

Several months ago while talking to a friend on the phone, her son asked her to play "Restaurant" with her. She explained the "game" to me when I asked, and then I realized that the reason Jackson hasn't played things like that is because he hasn't learned how. He doesn't have older siblings or kids his age nearby to teach him how/what to play. That's when I thought, "Isn't that one of the job descriptions of a Mother? Teach games that apply to real life?" I taught Jackson how to play "School" and "Store," and his favorite is "School."

In this day and age, it really is easy to let Barney, Curious George, Big Bird, and Clifford do the teaching. They teach great lessons on their shows, but they can't replace Mom. It's Mom who teaches how to play games like "Hide-and-Seek," "Mother May I," "Red Light, Green Light," and "School." You know, the ones that require getting up and moving around. Even though I get frustrated and tired, on the days that I actually play with my son, we get along really well, and the next day goes smoothly, too. Now, the trick is to stick to it. Perhaps one day Jackson will be a great teacher like his grandpa. He's getting in some practice now.


5 comments:

  1. He has such a funny look on his face in that last one!

    He sure likes those penguins, I don't know about you but I thought he would grow out of it after a while. Super cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And maybe he'll turn out to be a great teacher like his MOM!

    BTW, LOVE his dresser in the background. Did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cute, but I don't think you necessarily need siblings to play like that. Luke will do it all by himself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, he was teaching me how to do something and didn't know I was taking a picture, hence the funny look on his face.

    Amy, yes I did paint his dresser a couple of years ago for his birthday. It matches a bookshelf and a wall shelf and a quilt I made for him, too.

    Cristin, I think Jackson is someone that has to learn imaginative play. I don't remember learning it because I just did it, but Jackson doesn't do it on his own, he has to have someone show it to him. He's always been that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you play "House"? Baby care, dish doing, yard working...
    Leading questions are good - "And then what did the little (boydragonbugfroggirlpenguin) do?"

    Love you Guys!
    Grandma Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!