Saturday, May 29, 2010

Adoption Scams

Wherever you are, no matter what field you are in, there are always counterfeits. Always. " For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things." 2 Nephi 2:11. Adoption is a field fraught with opposition. However, I'm only focusing on adoption scams, and one type of scam: the Birth Mother Scam. As you all know, I recently had some experience in this.

Here is what I've learned about scammers.

  • They have an addiction. They may leave for a while, but they always come back under a different name with a new situation.
  • The situation is always something dramatic: premature birth, abuse, rape, no support, etc.
  • They prey on adoptive couples looking for a private/independent adoption. These couples are usually more willing to pay out-of-pocket expenses to help the birth mother or to go to lengths to meet her and check her out themselves.
  • They prey on your emotions and attention. Rarely do they ask for money directly - they could easily get charged for that. It's the emotional control they crave, it seems.
  • They will lead you on for weeks, if they can. I was lucky; my experience only lasted 5 days.
  • They rarely use their real names, but they will use someone else's real name.
  • Mine knew the law. Hence, she asked for photos; she won't keep calling me on the phone (that would be harassment).
  • They will try to get you to talk to them on the phone. It's more personal.
  • Most of the time, the scammers pretend to be a teenager and perhaps already have a child.
  • They usually have an expertise (i.e. prematurity), but they fall short in the details.
  • Scammers want to match quickly; they want an open adoption; and they tell you that you are perfect for her baby.
  • They are talking to 3-4 people (at least) at a time. You can count on it. She's needs a back-up plan in case you don't give in.
  • They are the victim. Always.
  • They keep coming back. Even if a person apologizes and says she's getting better, watch out. Just like any addiction, this one's hard to quit cold turkey.
If you're interested, here are some great sites on adoption scams.
http://www.abcadoptions.com/scams.htm
http://www.adoptionscams.net/word.html
http://www.preciouskids.org/adopt/scam.html

1 comment:

  1. I'm catching up on your blog and I am SO SORRY you got scammed, LeMira! I know from experience that it puts you through an emotional roller coaster and unfortunately it makes it hard to trust the "real" potential birthmothers out there. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!