Thursday, May 20, 2010

Children's Play

What's the first thing you think of when I ask, "What was your favorite childhood game?" 

Now, this answer is totally dependent upon which generation you grew up in, I think.  Also, some of you may have thought of outdoor games or board games or even video games.  Well, I can quickly tell you which were my favorites:  "Hide-and-go-Seek" was my favorite outdoor game and "Sorry" was my favorite board game. 

I am not a fast runner, and so that's why I liked "Hide and go Seek" better than Freeze Tag or TV Tag because I was always tagged quickly in chasing games.  However, "Hide-and-go-Seek" was more than just hiding; I could hide and wait patiently and touch the base when "It" would leave it unguarded.  I didn't have to be a fast runner to succeed at that game, just sneaky.

It's been very sad for me to see games that I learned at a very young age (under 5) fizzle out.  Much of the blame is on video games, but that is only an excuse. 

There are two kids in the neighborhood that we see almost everyday at our house.  Mostly, the Jackson and his friends jump on the trampoline and then go inside to play our Nintendo Gamecube (sorry, no Wii yet much to Jackson's dismay) and then return outside to jump some more.  They really do bounce between the two.  Well, yesterday was too nice a day for me to let that happen the entire time.  One of the kids suggested my favorite outdoor game.  Their version was that someone would count while the others hid.  When "It" was ready and yelled, "Ready or not, here I come!" he would then find the others and chase them until he tagged one or both of them.  Jackson really hated it because it turned out to be tag, and he is the youngest and slowest of the three. 

So, I decided teach them the REAL version.  Okay, my version and theirs is not that different.  I explained "Base."  The place where "It" counts and where everyone tries to touch before "It" tags them.  I started off my choosing "It" by doing "eenie, meanie, miney, mo" and "Bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish." (Two chants none of them had ever heard!) They played a couple of rounds, and Jackson was still struggling with the concept of hiding and tagging base.  So, I did what any parent would do and joined the game.  They thought that was a blast, especially when they out ran me, which is easy to do.  And you know what, I HAD FUN!!!  I know it can be taxing for a parent to play with their kids and their friends, but it was fun.  Jackson even had the best hiding spot (behind one of our big rocks in our side yard).

Video games are just an excuse.  I know that.  I recognize that every time Jackson asks to play and I say, "Yes" because of my own selfish reasons.  I look forward to teaching these three other games like "Mother May I," "Freeze Tag," and  "Red Light, Green Light."  Jackson doesn't have older siblings to teach him, so it must come from me, and to be honest, it sure feels fun to play and run and laugh like a kid again.

2 comments:

  1. We loved those games! Also, Chief Sitting Bull - one of us would sit down like the great Indian Chief and the others would do silly tricks to make the Chief laugh or smile then they traded places. Great-Grandma Ruth taught us the same game with a rhyme you act out: "Here comes a little old lady from Pasadena. You must neither smile nor laugh." You walk in 'very old', sit down and watch the other kids, straight-faced. Or the pussy game: One person acts like a cat and mews and rubs against people to make them smile or laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these games! They can't be all dead. I teach them to the kids at work all the time, and most of them have played it before. It's so fun that you can join in the game and have fun too. I can't wait to see Jackson and play too!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!