Something that I just love about Matt is his ability to get along with my brothers. When I got married, I was nervous because Matt really (to put it nicely) dislikes playing basketball. (All of you who grew up in Lincoln County just fell off your chairs, didn't you?) You see, my dad was a coach and my brothers were athletes. They didn't play every sport, some of my brothers played more sports than others, but nevertheless, they were all good at them. My dad at one point in his career was coaching football, basketball, and track. In the end, though, the ONE sport that all of us played and that my dad coached longest was basketball. Even after I quit playing, I was my dad's team's manager. We sort of breathed basketball for many years in my house. Now, hopefully, you understand my nervousness.
However, I really didn't have anything to worry about. Matt can hold his own; I don't mean playing basketball. Matt has his own abilities and he can best anyone (at least so far that I've seen) at a timeless classic - a sport that's been around even before basketball. It requires precision and skill, and the perfect "equipment." And here, in Bellingham, there was plenty of what he needed:
water,
rocks (okay, not those kind),
and a competitor (my brother, Nathan).
That's right, my husband is the best Rock Skipper you'll meet. Notice how he took his time finding the rock (you almost got bored waiting, didn't you?). Honestly, I know that video isn't fantastic quality; that it's really hard to see the rock skipping, but believe me it went far. Matt really is good at this "sport." Don't believe me? When he got home from scout camp last week, he had an injury from rock skipping again. Luckily it was only cut, not a pulled muscle, and he came out "champ" again.
Even Jackson tried to get in on the action.
He just needs some practice with his form and positioning (stand outside of the water, bud!)
August 3, 2010 - Bellingham, WA





I don't know, Rob is pretty much the bomb at skipping rocks . . . I'd like to see them in a head to head challenge!
ReplyDeleteA brother get-together!
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of Jackson in the water with his arm up! That rock of Matt's did go a long ways. I'm looking forward to stories of Scout Camp...
So, how many times did Matt's rock skip? How many times did Nathan's skip?
ReplyDelete