Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Pirate Affair

Arrrr, Mateys!  It's Pirate Day at school! When the Parent Council was planning Spirit Week, I wasn't really sure I could do Pirate Day without spending money.  I was sure I was going to end up in the Dollar Store trying to scrounge something up.   Guess what?  I didn't need to.  Let's think about this:  Pirates look the way they do because they wear what they have, which is trashed.  So, I went digging in my sewing box, and this is what I found:  a old white blouse of mine that I'd taken the sleeves off to use for another dress that needed them, an old tie to a robe, and some red fabric.  The pants were from Jackson's puppy costume when he was 3!!!   Yep, they still fit his waist (that's how you know you've got a skinny kid). 

In the beginning, he wasn't sure he wanted to be a pirate, but with a little coaxing,  he relented.


Getting into it. . . (notice his crooked loose tooth)

 Granted, I tried to convince him to be Black Jack or something vicious, but he officially picked the name "Ruby Dooby" as his pirate name.

Really playing it up, "Arrrrr!"  

And since we know that Jackson makes up a song for everything, here's his first Pirate Song. (Don't forget to turn off the music at the bottom of the page.)

Personally, I think I have the cutest living pirate, and I'm not biased or anything. . .

5 comments:

  1. Cute pictures -- great costume! And I love his exuberant little song!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an AWESOME pirate costume! Way to go girl! How fun for Jackson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What moves he has! I love it! Great costume!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is darling. I'm so impressed with your pirate dressing abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Upon extensive reflection, The Dread Pirate Ruby Dooby is a pretty scary name. A pirate with a name like that would have to be pretty tough to even survive as a pirate.

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!