Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Prematurity Awareness Day 2010

Did you know that today is Prematurity Awareness Day?  You didn't?  Well, I only found out a couple of weeks ago, so I forgive you.  (Is it just me, or does it seem like November is Awareness Month for everything?)

Well, I can't go today without honoring my preemies.    First up, my little fighter, Jackson.  To honor Jackson, I'm going to post one of the poems that I wrote for him on his first birthday.


Looking Back

You said it would be a roller coaster ride.
Actually, it was an amusement park.
You said that it wouldn’t be easy.
You were right – sometimes it was even dark.

You said he was going to be small,
But he was bigger than you’d intended.
You told us it’d be a long road –
Not about the way he would mend.

No, I don’t blame You.
He surpassed all of our expectations –
Even when we didn’t know what they were.
He held us in anticipation.

You said he could come at any time.
And he did.  There was no way to stop him.
He’d made up his mind that it was right then –

You told us the odds and the maybes.
He would listen and take it as a challenge.

Staring down Death was a sport to him.
You told us he wouldn’t make it,
But he did – it didn’t turn out so grim.

Everyday he reminds us of his courage and strength.
His determination pulls him through;
He seems to tell us:
Have faith in all that you do.

His story’s not quite done,
The author’s still writing.
More struggles and trials are yet to come,
Just don’t be surprised if when “The End” is near,
That Jackson, the determined warrior,
Has conquered all fear.

Written by LeMira
January 2005

Jackson's theme song is "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor.  To this day, Jackson is a fighter (believe me, he fights me the most -- I would know!).  He's also a very sensitive little boy who loves life.  He loves to make people smile and laugh, and he just loves to have fun.  No one can make a funny face like my Jackson!  I love you, Bud!  Thanks for sticking around.

I can't do a preemie post without mentioning my angel, Clarissa.  I wrote the following poem for her scrapbook that I finish by her due date in January.



Tiny fingers,
tiny toes
A cute little face
With a button nose.
Angelic features,
And although small,
I’m sure one day
She’ll be at least
Six feet tall.
Small enough
In the palm
 of my hand,
but fills my heart
oh, so grand.

Written by LeMira
January 2006

Clarissa's theme song is "I Feel My Savior's Love."  It's the song Natalie and her sister played at Clarissa's graveside.  I can't think of that song without crying.   

In honor of my preemies, I have their songs on my playlist for a couple of days.

To my babies, Momma Loves You!  I'm glad you're mine.

3 comments:

  1. LeMira, these poems are SO Beautiful! Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poems are a beautiful way to honor your babies...Thank you so much for helping us fight for preemies everywhere. On behalf of the March of Dimes, thank you for helping us get the word out about prematurity. We fight for Preemies everywhere...in honor of your fighter Jackson and your sweet angel Clarissa. Thank you...thank you very much for helping us in this fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. So beautiful...

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!