After I wrote the first post, I've been thinking more and more about The Path. So, you'll be getting a series of posts, I'm afraid.
I believe we start on our paths when we are born. The ideal is that we are born with just our bodies to burden us for a while on the path. After all, we started in the pre-mortal life as spirits who were not used to bodies. The Lord knew we'd have enough on our plates learning to feel hunger, cold, pain, touch, etc. He gave us little bodies so we could grow into them, adjust to them. We'd be "adjusting" to them our entire lives, but it would be better to start small with the basic things before we had more burdens to carry.
That situation is the ideal. Most babies born only really have that to worry about because that's all they process. However, some babies are born with burdens already placed on their backs either because of another person's choices or because nature intervenes (of course, I really believe that it's not nature, but God who gives us some of these challenges). For example, some babies are born prematurely either by the choices the mother made while the baby was in utero, or because they just came (like Jackson -- there is no explanation for his early arrival). Other burdens that babies shouldn't have to bear are things like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, neglect, blindness, cerebral palsy, autism, congenital heart defects, and the list goes on and on. These are burdens that don't go away, they are ones that the babies will have to carry for the duration of their journey.
After a while, some may not even consider them burdens, but blessings. They even learn how to use their "burdens" to lift others. Have you seen this guy yet? (Make sure to watch other videos of him if you haven't. I just picked a clip.)
As a child grows, more burdens may be placed and others eased while others are just named. For example, Jackson had many burdens because of his prematurity, and many of those burdens were lifted due to therapy, medication, surgeries, etc. I believe he's always carried his PDD-NOS, but it wasn't until this year that it was finally named.
Other burdens placed on a person or picked up along the way can be adoption, abuse, addiction, diabetes, cancer, death of another, grief, infertility, financial ruin, etc. Many burdens, when first placed upon our backs are very debilitating, and we can not lift them on our own. I'm sure you're thinking right now of all of the burdens you've carried at some point in your life and perhaps some of the heaviest that you are carrying now.
Yes, I'm sure you've dumped out a bunch of your burdens when you wondered why you were carrying it any longer, and I'll bet some burdens that you've dumped, you've somehow picked back up again. For instance, I constantly seem to pick up the "you are what you weigh" burden. I keep trying to dump it, I promise.
Some of these burdens are lighter than others and some seem to lighten along the way. I would venture to say that they don't lighten, but you become stronger. Do you realize how strong you are? You, my friend, are amazing. Look how far you've come with what you've had to carry in your life! Does that mean it will get easier? Heck, no! But it does mean you can keep going because you've already come so far. Give yourself some credit. The burdens and trials will keep coming, they just will, but you can make it because you are strong and because you are not alone on this path for very long at a time. (More on that in a future post.)
What burdens are you carrying now? What has helped you the most in easing your burdens?
I remember my Senior year getting ready to graduate and having my bishops interview. My dad was bishop at the time and I remember him telling me to picture a backpack full of rocks that I am carrying those rocks are all burdens or sins. He asked me to unload all those on him as bishop so as I left my families home I could start with a clean empty backpack. I have thought about that many times when I have carried burdens and sins longer than neccesary and I realize the only way to make my backpack lighter is to give them to my Savior. It is harder at times than others but always well worth it. So thankful my Savior has already paid for my burdens and so thankful I can use the atonement so He didn't suffer in vain.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with this! It is sad that children sometimes are given burdens to carry (whether they be health issues, neglectful or absent parents, abuse, etc) when they are not physically or emotionally ready or able to carry them. I know what makes us strong are the times when we have had to carry heavy burdens, or go through hardships. I would never say I want more struggle and hardships in my life for the purpose of growing stronger but the amazing part of living through some stuff tough is learning how strong you are!
ReplyDeleteMy burdens are eased just knowing that my children know that I think about them, that they are always in my heart and that I chose to let them go so that their lives could be the best for them.
ReplyDeleteI also think often of my mother who had the strength to walk in life no matter the set backs. She was a rock that was always there to ground me and although she has been gone for over a decade her legacy lives on in me. Isn't that what life is all about? Teaching our children to be better than we are? To do more than they did? To carry on their love that they so selflessly gave to us so that we can continue to teach future generations how to meet life head on and with courage? This is what keeps me going.
Again, and as always, thank you for making me think.