Friday, February 17, 2012

Introducing LeMira's Literature Corner

Today as I was cleaning and organizing my hobby room, I came upon a box of papers I'd kept around since I was a teenager.  Most of the papers were motivational quotes and stories along with a bunch of Young Women hand-outs.  I realized that I could find most of the stories and even better hand-outs now with the internet and all of its resources.  The converted cereal box to file box had to go.

However, I'm glad I didn't just dump the whole box.  In it I found all of my poems and church talks starting from sixth grade through part of high school.  These babies are GEMS.  Most of them make me laugh because they are sappy, much like high school.  I even remembered why I wrote some of them, and many others, I do not.  I do know, however, that poetry was the way I dealt with my emotions.  Most poems were written for or about a specific person or situation.  I've been wanting to write them all up and print them off in a book for me -- not to sell, believe me when I say they are not worth selling.  They are worth keeping, however. 

I had this stroke of genius, or insanity, and I decided to let you all in to my past.  I'm going to start posting a poem or a talk a week, I think.  I will have my own Literature Corner, haha!  I don't care if you tear apart my poems.  I tried really hard to rhyme when I wrote them, which makes them even sappier.  They make me smile.  You may just think they're boring, and that's okay, but at least I will have them documented here.  Then, I can finally print off my blog and have them in one place.

Okay, first up,  "You Look a Little Ill."  This was written in sixth grade when we had a guest poet come in and help us with a poetry unit.  I remember him thinking we all needed to do better, and I remember thinking he was really good.  I have no idea who it was, but I remember him working with all of us.

"You Look a Little Ill"

You look a little ill
Your face is green and pale.
It has little blue spots, too.

You look a little ill
Your [sic] soaked with sweat,
And your eyes are shaded gray.

You look a little ill
Your face is green and pale
You need a little pill.

You look a little ill.
Go lay in bed a while 
Take a rest because

You look a little ill.

Personally, this poem had potential, and I missed it.  This has the beginnings of a Shel Silverstein or Jack Prelutsky type poem, and I completely missed it.  I think I didn't quite get humorous poetry yet although I loved it at that age.

Stay tuned for next week!

2 comments:

  1. I like this! "You look a little ill. You need a little pill." So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS POEM!!!! I think it would be fun to print off and put up at the nurses station... we'd all get a kick out of it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!