This is the year I'm taking control of my life. . . again. Yeah, I think this will be a perpetual goal for me, but after gaining all the weight back that I had lost two years ago, it's time to really be serious about it all. My arms are feeling my resolve.
I realized I had to make a "Not Allowed to Eat" list. This sounds drastic, but just like people who are trying to quit a serious addiction, I need motivation. Serious motivation. I have an addiction. It's to food, namely sugar. The "Not Allowed" foods are foods that I can't just eat a treat. I seem to make a meal of them and can't stop. I'm very specific in my foods, unless I have a problem with all kinds. For example, on the top of my list is doughnuts. I can eat any doughnut anywhere anytime and I can eat many, many doughnuts at a time. The problem is I can't stop. Okay, not can't, but won't. I find some justification of why I can eat that doughnut every time.
Another food is cookie dough. Yikes, I know, right?! No, cookies is not on the list, just cookie dough. Next is potato chips, not tortilla chips. While their caloric intake is about the same, I can stop eating tortilla chips, I can eat an entire bag of potato chips, and I have to include Doritos in the potato chip category even though technically they're tortilla chips.
Other foods are tootsie rolls, sugared cereals, (I don't care if they say "whole grain," if they say "Fruit Loops, etc.," they're out!), Milk Duds, french fries, maple syrup (do you know how many calories are in that stuff?!), fast food shakes, and full-size candy bars or larger. As I find myself gorging certain foods that are unhealthy, they're added to the list.
Okay, so you have a list, LeMira, that's good and all, but how are you going to be certain you don't justify eating those foods? Good question. I have a consequence. Each time I eat those foods, I have to do 20 push-ups beyond my regular work-out. Last night I didn't get to eat dinner until nearly 10:00 p.m., and I poured myself a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. I told myself that I can handle 20 extra push-ups, no big deal. Then, I did the exact same thing this morning. Let me tell you, two bowls of sugared cereal were NOT WORTH 40 extra push-ups. I had already done 30, and my arms were "Jell-O." Don't worry, as the arms get stronger, the consequence will get harder. Maybe one day it will be pull-ups. . . I cringe just thinking about that.
Today when I go stock up on cereal, I'll be sure to by something NOT full of sugar. You can bet on that.
You do such a good job with your blog. I was reading (today) and then I accidentally lost it, and then I was looking for it again and ended up reading all this stuff about Obama on a blog called Along for the Ride. Phew, I'm back. PS they were anti-Obama.
ReplyDeleteI love your post! It seems like all your foods on your do not eat list are addictive. I know some people are certain that MSG is addictive but apparently it is controversial. Nutrition in America can at times be shrouded in mystery.
An awesome lady in my ward told me she cuts up veggies every morning "as a gift" to herself for later. (you know, the later when you are hungry and need something fast. I'm almost almost embarrassed to say that I make a green smoothie every morning and it is helping me be healthier. I put in 2 oranges, 1 apple, celery, carrot, some avocado, handful spinach and a banana.
I have the attitude if I don't buy unhealthy foods they won't be in the house, and if I try to eat healthy food and drink lots of water then there is less chance I'll eat unhealthy food. It gets harder throughout the day. Especially if I eat something like candy in the middle of the day, the rest of the day I want more and the temptation is stronger.
I was sad this year when I set the goal to stand up straight and have good posture (whilst I slouch here) realizing I've been trying this for years. And years. But I'm not giving up! I've been doing stretches and exercises and going to the chiropractor and I want a healthy back! Whoo, that was like a little pep talk.
I need to call you soon. I have pretty much sleep-trained Luke, very sad but good.
Love,
Paige
PS That was the short version.
ReplyDelete