Friday, October 19, 2007

Paper Airplanes

Jackson's teacher sends home a paper every day from school telling us what he did and how he did. It is a pre-printed paper where she just adds details about a specific day and uses check marks to mark other things. I'd go into more detail, but it's not important for this post. Usually, for Jackson, it basically tells what the class did. I guess I have a good kid because the teacher doesn't write much. Because of Jackson's school schedule, he doesn't get a nap M-Th, and by 5:00 on those days, we're usually having a screaming contest. Well, yesterday afternoon, we came up with an idea to entertain and to make use of the papers he brings home from school -- make paper airplanes. I had this great idea that we'd sit on the love seat and see how far across the room they'd fly. Well, Jackson did get the point about throwing the airplanes, but he wouldn't let me help him with his technique.


Jackson's Paper Airplane Flying 101:

First, crumple up the airplane. Um, I mean "fold" the airplane any way you like.

Here's the work of art (after adding my own details to Mom's folding techniques):

Second, cock your arm back far behind you.

Finally, let her fly! Notice the nice follow-through (and then notice the airplane sitting next to him on the right).


All in all, this was a good way to spend 45 minutes of an afternoon. When Matt got home, he took Jackson outside to fly the planes some more while I was finishing up dinner. This is an activity I'd do again.

6 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! He's got the right idea... sorta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's cute, I can never remember all the fun things we did when we were kids so thanks for putting this on here, I'll have to try it w/the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun idea! You've always been a creative mom. I've been catching up on your blog...we, too, are praying for Geraldine and will include your family as well. Good luck with the adoption thing. I always keep my ears open for you guys (I'm working per diem as a labor and delivery nurse). Jackson is a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea. i will have to remember that for when abram gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I should teach him how to make a "real" paper airplane...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I've needed some new conflict avoidance strategies.

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!