Yesterday we did some Wal-Mart shopping. As I went to try on some Christmas jammies to make sure they were going to fit, the sales associate was so un-welcoming, I felt depressed. Yes, it was almost 8 p.m., but you'd think I'd just insulted her when I thanked her.
Contrast: By the time we had filled our cart with more than we had planned, I was excited because we found a check-out counter with only two people in front of us. Little did I know that I had pick the "friendliest employee of the century" to serve me. I could tell by the time she was helping the lady in front of me, that she had a comment for EVERYTHING! She seemed very nice, but almost too helpful. She would explain why she was putting things in bags together. This was cute and that was fun. And she has every holiday teddy bear except 2005 and 2007, and she's saving up to get the 2007 bear (it's only $10!). And aren't poinsettias just beautiful this year? She has two boys, and she wouldn't ever trade for a girl, but to have another one now would be too big of a gap between children, and maybe she would want a girl one day . . .
Do you get the picture?! When she asked me if I wanted to keep the hangers my husband said, "just keep them!" At first I had said that I didn't want them, but when I noticed that it was taking her 5 minutes to decide how to handle my answer, I quickly changed my mind. She tried to explain at the end how she'd bagged my groceries, and I quickly replied, "Oh, it's fine. Thanks." I admit I would rather have the friendly sales associate, but I would also like to only take 5 minutes to check out rather than 15 min.
I was actually worked as a cashier at Wal-mart when I was in high school. It is probably so different now because most transactions are ATM or credit card, so I think they must be pretty bored because they don't have to do anything except smile, push a few buttons and put your stuff in a bag. At least she like her job... I guess.
ReplyDeleteHave you noticed at Wal-mart they now have those questions on the debit card thing that say stuff like, "Was your cashier friendly today?" Maybe she had gotten really bad ratings before and was trying to make up for it.
Ha, ha! I had the same type of experience in another store. Only there were about 6-7 people waiting behind me and all the clerk would do for at least 5 minutes was coo over my baby. I learned all about her nieces and nephews and how they're too old and someone in her family needs to have another baby but who? Certainly not her yet...and on, and on, and on. Not only was I in a hurry (my baby was screaming and the clerk had to talk about how even screaming babies are sooooooo cute), but I felt bad for the people behind me, who were probably ALSO in a hurry. But you're right--better than a grumpy clerk...
ReplyDeleteYou can always complain about a grumpy clerk taking too much time. But can you complain about an bubbly friendly clerk taking too much time?
ReplyDeleteI think I'll take the grumpy one just to get out faster.
I agree with Matt. I'll take no eye contact, mumbling, and a fast checkout.
ReplyDeleteI agree, I would like someone to be friendly and get the job quick instead of taking FOREVER.
ReplyDelete