Friday, March 28, 2008

Bearing Burdens

This week Matt's cousin had a fabulous idea (from their aunt) to give people a chance on her blog to vent and discuss the trials they are going through. Many comments were anonymous, and yet I felt like I wanted to be right there lending a listening ear and giving each one of those wonderful women a hug. I knew that there wasn't much else I could lend, but we can all use a hug.

As I thought more about these trials and experiences, I realized that there are so many of my friends who need a listening ear as well. I also realized that I'm so good at talking and voicing my concerns and ideas that sometimes I'm probably intimidating because it must seem like I never give the other person a chance to talk. I always have to interject, and it can be so hard to share experiences because we're afraid that we will be judged or that our trials will be dismissed as trivial.

Life is all about learning and growing, and so of course it's going to be hard. I firmly believe that we all have the same lessons to learn, but because we are all different and we have different learning styles, we will learn the same lessons in different ways. All of us have some sort of struggle, and right now it may not be as painful or hard as another time. Nevertheless, we all can use a friend with a listening ear.

So before all of you out there in the blogging world, I'm making a commitment to change. I'm going to lend a listening ear. Yes, I'm going to try to keep my mouth shut, except for words of encouragement to those who need it. I want to be a better friend. I've had so many wonderful people in my life who have helped me during the times when I've needed support with no judgments. I encourage you to do the same. Be that friend that you sure could use.

4 comments:

  1. This is a good post. I also need to work harder on this... not think so much of myself and find ways to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a good post! And what an interesting post from Matt's cousin, too. I think we all need to do a lot more listening AND more sharing with others -- and much less judging. It usually seems that the more you listen, the less inclined you are to judge, anyway -- that's what I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was SO shocked at everyones comments...it was amazing. I feel just like you! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea LeMira. I am one that could heed that advice. It's hard to stop thinking about myself and just listen sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!