Thursday, September 11, 2008

Kite Festival




Last weekend we attended a Kite Festival in a neighboring town. They were celebrating their new wind turbines. They've been "on" since July and generate clean energy. We had fun looking at some of the kites and doing some of the fun things there were to do. The commemoration ceremony was okay -- too much talking; and personally, it took a step down when Senator Chris Cannon spoke. Suddenly there was too much political-talk for me. We just sat on the edge of the reservoir, watched the big kites, ate lunch, and let the kids play in the water. Without a doubt, though, all of us can say that our favorite part was taking test rides on a Segway. Despite Jackson's extremely grouchy attitude, I had fun with two of my brothers and my nieces and nephew - I miss you all already!

Jackson's favorite part of the day, being able to steer a golf cart.


My favorite part of the day -- I don't know why I want one, oh, wait, yes I do BECAUSE THEY'RE COOL!


Can you see the joy written across his face?


Jackson was not so happy that he didn't get to ride one.
He loved playing in the water with his cousins.

Finally, we brought our own kites and flew them.
Here are my brother and nephew flying a kite:


The picture below says a lot if you know what you're looking for. Look at Matt's face. Here he is at the end of the morning after listening and dealing with Jackson's crying, complaining, shouting, and frustration. Matt and I were really exhausted at this time trying to cope with our 4 year old's temperament for 3 long hours.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had fun, despite a grouchy kiddo. I wish I'd gotten to check out a segway! We're jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big butterfly kite is really cool. That is really neat that there is a kite festival..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LeMira! I just found your blog through Teri Willingham's and wanted to say "hi!" How are things going? I haven't seen you in forever! You're little boy is so cute!

    Well, I just wanted to say hello and let you know I'm checking you out ;)

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why didn't we see you, I wonder? We had so much fun at this Kite Festival on Friday, that we went back again on Saturday. I agree that it was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the pictures! Too bad Jackson was grumpy but the weather looks like it was great. We talked to Susan today - Evangeline is sucking her thumb, having refused the pacifier.
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, kites. My mom and I were queens of flying kites. You know "the hill?" Perfect kite flying place. We could get 7-8 going at once and would just keep running from kite to kite making necessary adjustments. thanks for the walk down memory lane with my mom:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! I am sad that we missed that one. It looked like it was so awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!