Tuesday, September 9, 2008

There's More To It

"Adoption: It's about Love"
That is the motto for LDS Family Services. I truly believe that they couldn't have picked a better title. After all, what greater love is there than a parent unselfishly giving up a child? It's an ageless test of love: parents who send their sons and daughters on missions, parents who bury their children, Abraham and Isaac, the Father and the Son. There are countless examples of this test, and I firmly believe that it is one of the hardest tests we will ever be faced with.

Lately, however, I've felt that there's more than just love in the adoption process. Hope is a big one, along with fear. They are opposites, and thus ever-present. Worry, dread, anticipation, depression, excitement, and certainty are all emotions that cycle through and swirl around during this time. (Now, I am speaking from a hopeful adoptive parent point of view, but I don't doubt much that a birth mother or father could experience all of these emotions as well.)

Foremost of everything I am experiencing are prayer and agency. I've spent so much time thinking and praying about adoption, birth mothers, birth fathers, and preparation. I want to be prepared, sympathetic, compassionate, and confident in this process. I have no doubts in my mind that this is the road to be travelling for us right now, but it's definitely not without it's ups and downs.

Over the summer, we had a few leads that cropped up. You probably remember the preemie baby situation, and know that we had to turn that one down. Also, other friends had a good lead for us, but that one just didn't work out. We have one more lead that we are praying desperately for. This time is more personal to us than ever as we have very specific names and faces that we can pray over. (Their privacy is very confidential and of highest priority to us, that's why we haven't told you who or where they are or who our lead is.) Mostly, we know that the birth parents have their agency. Sometimes it's very hard to pray for them to be directed to us while at the same time acknowleding their agency and praying that we will accept their decisions and be prepared for them. Agency. Agency. Agency. A gift that is essential in a successful adoption and that I feel goes hand in hand with love.

Now, if I can survive this emotional roller coaster, then I will be the better for it.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, Lemira, I had no idea what you guys were going through. I probably should have asked you sooner, or at least...I don't know something, but I my heart and my prayers are with you. You two are some of the best people I know and you deserve all the happiness this life can give to you. I just read your adoption profile and I am at risk of bawling my eyes out here at work. You are amazing, and you truly have the kind of faith that can move mountains. There is a little spirit out there waiting to become a part of your family. Don't lose hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lessons. ((hugs))
    My heart goes out to you guys, and my prayers go to heaven in your behalf (and for the these birth parents, too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post LeMira, we are rotting, (and praying) for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited for your lead and I admire your strength and your perspectives about praying for them to be led to you as well as praying that you'll accept their decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think about you a lot and hope things work out. Agency is a difficult thing to understand sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *tears*

    (No words can properly explain how I feel for what you're going through)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that this lead leads to success. You, Matt & Jackson deserve a new little one. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Cristin, I think about you a lot with adoption to come. What a lucky little one to join your family. . . hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh LeMira...I am sorry I have not been checking blogs much lately so I am WAY behind, but I just read your post and want you to know that we are praying for you and your family. You truly are so strong and such an example to me. Oh and I LOVE that you added Clarissa to your blog! That made me so happy to see her :) She is so beautiful! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is something beautiful in every day. Enjoying that beauty calms and relaxes. All things continue to grow and fulfill their purpose in life. Love to you, LeMira.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so glad to read this post and see what you are experiencing. It is amazing how we are prepared for just the right answer. You are in my thoughts and I am looking forward to hearing more of your news.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, I definitely feel for you! You expressed it perfectly...we'll be praying for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are always so many emotions with adoption. I hope it all works out, and we will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!