Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Key

So, I just responded to a comment in my adoption post below. As I responded, I realized something that I think is key to every relationship and succeeding in life. I've known this all before, but I think it hit me hard just how important it is. It is the key to everything.

Communication. Clear, open, honest, thoughtful, continuing communication. Now think how our lives would be different in every respect if we were master communicators. In work? With friends and family? With God? With our spouses and children? With our birth mothers and adoptive families? We'd never have to wonder what someone was thinking because we'd know. We wouldn't be afraid to ask, and we wouldn't be afraid to tell the truth, or more importantly, hear the the truth. We wouldn't have to worry about getting offended (we'd be thoughtful in our responses, remember?); and we would be clear about our expectations. Even more importantly, it would be constant and consistent. How much would our lives change if we were master communicators with our Heavenly Father?

Remember to be a communicator doesn't mean you are always the speaker. Listening is just as important as speaking. (Sometimes we hear that listening is more important, but I personally believe that you have to speak up and let people know what you're thinking as much as you need to listen to what they're thinking or instructing. To me, speaking and listening bear equal weight in good communication.) I don't have a problem telling people my emotions. I wear them on my sleeve; in fact, I'm so open I can't lie. (This may sound wonderful, but it makes it really hard to keep a straight face when you're trying to surprise somebody.) However, I find that a lot of times I talk more than I listen. In talking to someone for the first time, I tend to tell my story, but then I can walk away and realize that I learned nothing about them because I didn't stop to take a breather and let the other person share.

Anyway, I'm going to try to be a better communicator. My goal for the rest of this week is to listen. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. my thoughts are I wuv you! and you always listen to me.

    hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I'd better get in on this before the week is out! You have to listen to me right?

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!