Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Maple Dell: April 17, 2010

On Saturday, April 17, we decided to go on a nice, leisure hike. Unfortunately, the trail that we thought would be perfect for us wasn't open yet. We decided instead to pull off into a parking lot and hike a simple trail nearby. I thought it was a great idea until I saw this:

At least it's a wide, stable log, right?! "Okay," I told myself, "you can do this. It's not that far to the other side." I was ready to cross that log until I got right up to it. Matt had helped Jackson across, and there I stood, paralyzed, looking into the muddy water envisioning my fall into it. Suddenly, the log was the width of a stick. It was at this time that all of my shortcomings combined against me: my fear of heights, my uncanny ability to trip over thin air, my weak knees, and my stubbornness. "I can't do it! You two go on ahead without me," I called to Matt. This was one of those times when I know I married the right person. He didn't call me a "wuss" or ask if I had brought a book to read in the car while waiting for them. He marched across the log, told me I could do it, and held my hands the whole way across. Yes, he walked backwards while I clutched his hands and he guided me across.

The hike itself was short and easy, and the trail wasn't much. We did eat our picnic dinner looking down over the parking lot. The entire time we hiked, I kept thinking that there had to be another way down and across that canal. I really, really didn't want to try to cross that stupid log again. Well, we found some back-woods way back that seemed more like a cattle trail than anything else and didn't even have to cross the canal back to the parking lot. We came out on the south side (the log was on the north side) of the parking lot. Yes, I was safe, and I could calm down.

Until . . . Matt and Jackson decided they weren't done playing on the log. Yeah. I think my heart stopped about 10 times while Jackson got confident and comfortable on that stick. I really don't want him to inherit my fears, but still, I'm a mom, and I reserve the right to panic. I decided that I would take pictures to keep me occupied and so I could try to hide my worry. I don't think it worked though.

Getting a feel for the "bridge"
Notice I'm far enough away to get a nice picture of them

A little too comfortable on the bridge -- Matt held his jacket for my sake more than his own, I think. Thanks, Hun!This is the best picture I could get of them. I really look forward to Jackson growing out of the "Make an absurdly silly face for the picture" stage.

See what I mean? Absurdly silly! Oh, well, I can't resist those two faces anyway. Those are my two favorite guys, they make me smile (Jackson thinks it's his job to make me laugh, and he usually succeeds).

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fun time. One hike that we liked Payson canyon is the Grotto trail...nice waterfall at the end. Wish we could be there to hike with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have these men in your life. I love Jackson's faces. I love that Matt would not leave you behind and you were brave enough to hold onto his hands and walk (creep?) across that "bridge."
    Focus on where you want to go. Life is Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the image of Matt leading you across the log. Seriously--how many times do we encounter a very narrow (intimidating, scary) path over muddy water in our lives? We're afraid we're going to fall in--and yet, often, I find my husband is the one who tells me I can get through this and enjoy what's on the other side. What would we do without these wonderful men? :)

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!