I remember in college when I began doing research for a persuasive paper. I remember thinking that there had to be more, that I wasn't even scratching the surface (I was writing about public vs. private schools and the voucher program). I knew this because I felt like I understood nothing more about it than when I began. The internet was still new to me, and I had no idea how to research it. I even think my professor commented on how my sources weren't great. Basically, I think I got by on that paper, but didn't open any doors. I think I was guarded. I avoid hurt, pain, suffering, confrontation, etc. Remember the last post. . . I prefer rose-colored glasses; daisies, sunshine, happiness. I'd rather everything be roses. Thus, I didn't really open my eyes to the extremes of that paper.
In the beginning of this adoption process, I felt the same way. I didn't want to hear the painful side of adoption; I wanted to stick to the miracle, happy side of it all. Adoption is love, happiness, family, a miracle, the best thing ever, and so on. When I finally opened my eyes to the birth mother's side of the story, I began to see the depth of adoption, but still just the surface. I started to see that adoption isn't all happiness for everyone all the time, but it was still pretty positive for me. The stories I read were uplifting and educational. Even if they were painful (and I cried for those birth moms whose adoptive parents weren't as honest or understanding as the birth parents thought they would be), all of those stories still advocated adoption.
Then one day I was reading a post by one of my favorite birth moms, Kelsey, about being attacked by other birth moms. What?! How could someone do that? I didn't understand. Then, I clicked on one of the profiles for a comment and was led to another adoption blog written by an adoptee. As I read, the words stung. I was confused - was this supporting adoption or not? Basically, someone slapped my face. I clicked on other links and was stunned again. This was not a side of adoption I'd seen before. I was feeling a new emotion. This couldn't be right!
Within the next month or so, I slowly turned around and faced what I was reading. I started asking questions and finding different points of view. I found more perspectives. I understood that new emotion better, but found it was two in one: DOUBTGUILT. I felt guilty that I wanted to adopt someone else's baby. Was I asking a mother to give her baby to me? Am I guilty of making promises to entice a mother to choose us? Is this really the Lord's plan - breaking up families? Shouldn't I just be grateful for the one I have and move on from this "obsession"?
Those are all questions I really asked myself, but today I can say, honestly, where I stand.
- Yes, I believe the Lord wants families to stay together; he wishes with all his heart that children could be with their natural mothers; BUT first and foremost, he wants his children to have a family with the influence of a mother and a father. Adoption BUILDS families and joins families. If done right, adoption can be one way we are linked together as a big family.
- Adoption is not all daisies. Just like in any family, there will be mis-communication and errors. People will get offended and hurt, but we can learn to forgive and be better. We can learn to be honest and open. We have to work to make it happy, and it will be, if we work for that goal together.
- I am happy. If adoption never happens for us, then so be it. Yes, I will be sad but not out. I LOVE JACKSON with my entire being. He's not on the back burner. He never will be and neither will another child. As a parent, you learn that somehow your love doesn't split between kids, it grows for the others. Our children will not be compared to each other because one is adopted and one is not. They will both be ours, they will both be our Heavenly Father's. They will both be LOVED UNCONDITIONALLY!
- Am I guilty of making promises? Yes. Do I intend to keep them? Yes. Have I fluffed my profile? Sadly, yes. And I hate that. I am trying to get that fixed. Writing that dang birth parent letter has been the hardest thing and still is. How do you write all you want someone to know about you in two single-spaced pages? I'm learning how to write us and not what I think someone wants. I want it to reflect who we really are. It feels so much like a resume. . . ugh.
- I do not feel GUILTY. I'm not trying to entice or coerce an expectant mom to choose us. We are an option. There is no pressure to choose us. We are here if and when she needs us.
- Above all, I do not DOUBT. I know this is our journey. I'm a religious person with a faith and conviction that this is the Lord's plan for us. Yes, it has taken longer than I'd expected, but I'm a better person, more educated than I was because we waited. I am ready to love a child, an entire birth family, and the miracle that adoption can be for the rest of my life.
There will always be opposition. Always. We all have a different experience, and we all can learn from each other. We NEED to learn from each other and open our eyes. You never know what you will see. Today, I thank Kelsey Stewart for her adoption post: Why I Babble About Adoption . . . She put into words perfectly what I needed to hear. Adoption can be beautiful - it can turn out to be a flower -- a rose among thorns.
(Photo by Matt)
I love reading your posts and gaining insight from your pondering and searching--though I don't face adoption challenges, it opens my minds and makes me really think in other ways. It also makes me think of how much the Lord is willing to teach us when we are really willing to learn--each in our own way through our own circumstances and I think that you are setting a very good example for the rest of us to study and understnad better the challenges we face.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely way to start my day, reading what your heart has to say about adoption. This was an amazing post LeMira and I thank you for giving me credit. I think this was in you all along, but it is awfully sweet of you to mention me! Thank you my friend, you humble me!
ReplyDeleteAMAZING POST LeMira!!! Loved this. Each and every one of your "answers" were fantastic. I can't pick a favorite one. I've been staring at this post for twenty minutes, and I can't.
ReplyDeleteHold tight to your belief that what you are trying to accomplish is right. Done properly, Adoption doesn't destroy anything. It is the best answer to a hard question. We don't live in the era of baby snatching. I have been fortunate enough to somehow "escape" the anti adoption people that Kelsey has to contend with (probably because I am not famous like her....lol), and I applaud her for maintaining her positive views despite them.
Make your profile YOU and your birthmom will find you. Unfluff it, and let your light shine. I love you!!!
I love this one. So honest and true. Especially 3 and 4. I think if we're happy in our lives now, our children will come to us. Being content with our lives in the "here and now" and seeing the joy in life are so important whether we have kids or not! :) And if we're honest about who we are and what we can offer in our letters (awkward as they are to write!), then the mothers searching so hard for the right family will find us too!
ReplyDeleteLove you lots - your posts are amazing!
I've been waiting and waiting and waiting! It was WONDERFUL! :)
ReplyDeleteI posted a comment earlier and I don't know where it went :( I asked if you were in my brain? lol! I love this! I feel the same way, you just say it more beautifully! You are a rose petal amongst the thorns in adoption my friend. Michelle is right, just be you, she will find you!!
ReplyDeleteWonderfully written, LeMira... Your reflections and your talent for expressing your feelings blesses not only you, but many, many others... :)
ReplyDeleteAh, LeMira, you always help me see things better. Makes me be a more sensitive person.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a lovely post. When I first came to the adoption blogging world (on the advice of a friend who told me I should try to connect with other people who might know what I'm going through) I started out reading and commenting on a lot of adoptee blogs. Some of them were very, very hurtful - and I admit, at one point my temper got the best of me in the comment on a post calling all birthmothers bitches and monsters incapable of love and not fit to live. Then many adoptees STORMED my blog, attacking me and my choice. It was terrible - I felt like a monster for choosing adoption. I, too, was filled with doubt and guilt. Mine haven't gone away, maybe because I lack what seems to be the most important element of your ability to accept certain things: faith. But that can't be helped (I'm not religious - I know you're a great gal and won't try to convince me otherwise!).
ReplyDeleteI'm not a birthmom yet, and I can't speak for anybody else, but I believe I'm not far off in saying WE FEEL THOSE THINGS TOO! I'm full of doubt - am I making a terrible decision that I will regret for the rest of my life? Will the adoptive parents I choose screw me over? Will I ever see or hold my child again after I sign the papers? And guilt - will my child be okay? Would they really be better off with me, incompetent and unwilling and unprepared as I am? Will they carry an unliftable burden forever?
But I believe adoption CAN be a beautiful thing! And I believe in open adoption - not all aparents are shmucks, as you yourself prove.
Also, I wrote a paper last semester about private vs. public schools and vouchers! And a couple summers ago I worked with my mom on a project for reforming the Philadelphia public school system! It sure is an expansive, all-encompassing subject - but luckily for me, my school (NYU) has an awesome research database and they train us in using it!
Anyway, hang in there. And let me reiterate: I love this post. Keep on being honest about your feelings in this process so I can read about them and know the other side, and I'll do the same! And please, please, keep working on being honest in your birthmom letter. That is just so important. I know I don't want cookie-cutter "perfect" parents - us birthmoms aren't looking for people who will give our kids riding lessons and shiny happy sunny days for the rest of their lives. We're looking to create a family, perhaps flawed, full of love.
Lia
"he wants his children to have a family with the influence of a mother and a father"
ReplyDeleteI may be opening a can of worms here, but this gave me pause. I won't get into gay rights because I honestly feel that's entirely beside the point and not involved in what this addresses. I've known many successful single parents, both men and women. I agree it is better for a child to have both parents involved directly and continuously in their lives than not. However I'd question whether that influence alone can justify an adoption decision. I'd posit the "you-can-never-go-back", oft life shattering and always world changing pain of adoption out weighs a missing parent in the context of a loving, connected, and supportive extended family. I'd suggest a different lens for how a loving God could justify allowing situations like this to occur:
that no life should ever bear the guilt and resent of another.
When push comes to shove that is why I chose adoption. I could not bear to resent my son. I had to find a way that I could love him unconditionally. I couldn't let him grow up in a home where his dad resented his life, where he knew his parents wished he'd not be born. Adoption let me and Athena completely celebrate his birth and his life. There is pain, but there is no resent nor any anger. Neither at him nor ourselves. Adoption was the only way that could happen.