Every time I see or hear about one, I turn away, but then I feel so torn. My mind is saying, "No, don't go there; you know your heart will be ripped open again, and I don't think I can take it. Avoid it, don't go there! You've been there; you don't need to go there again."
My heart steps in and says, "It's okay, I can take it; I have to take it. I know what it feels like, and I need to share this burden, even if for a moment." Then I give in, and I read another one of these stories about a child that unexpectedly returns home to Heavenly Father. As I'm reading, I turn cold and try to distance myself to keep the tears from flowing, to be unaffected. I don't know these people. "Don't get involved! There's nothing you can do," my brain reminds me. My heart pushes on, and I read more.
Suddenly, I'm transfixed and devouring every bit of information I can about the family and the story. The ice melts, and suddenly I'm there, tears flowing, wishing with every ounce of my being that I could take away the pain, the hurt for this family, but knowing that I can do absolutely nothing to remove the wound. That eventual scar is permanent, at least in this life. I can send my love, my condolences, but I can't change anything. They will grieve for a very long time, and I know that's okay. They will be stronger and be amazed at the love in the world from people they don't even know. Despite their very tragic loss, they will find faith, hope, and love in this world because of the arms folded around them. They will be nearer to God and Jesus Christ than they were before.
Today my heart is with the Sullenger Family. If you are anywhere near Rigby, ID, or if you happen to go there for this family, would you please give a hug, a smile, a thought, or even better - a gerbera daisy for them from me? I will be praying for them.
P.S. If you want to help them out, please visit this blog, here.
That's heartbreaking. I have a very close friend that had something similar happen to her nephew. He fell into the canal in his grandparents front yard. He was found a mile or two downstream. He survived (with major brain damage) for a few years, but eventually his body shut down. His family has never been the same.
ReplyDeleteoh LeMira, I'm sobbing. my hearts broken for them.
ReplyDelete