I finally got brave enough to tackle a furniture refinishing project. Last year my mom gave me a set of side tables and a coffee table. They are old, circa 1960, but it's fun to have something in my house now that I remember in my house growing up. My siblings will remember this table:
(I did sand it before I took this picture, but the sanding didn't really change the look of it.) I remember using it for everything, building block towers, drawing, painting, playing with Barbies. . . yeah, everything.
It really was beat up, and it's not that fabulous of a table, but it was free. Thus, I decided to make it work. I probably didn't need to use as much spackling as I did, but there was some major particle board showing through, so I did. Note to self: more putty=more sanding. Next time I will putty, and only sand down those parts, not the whole thing.
After the sanding, I primed it (about 2 coats), painted it (3 coats), and sealed it with a polyacrylic sealant (about 2 coats). The sealing job didn't turn out as well as it could have, but hey, this was my first big job. Next time, I'll do better.
The finished product:
I got all of my tips from these two websites (with which I now have a new love affair):
All Things Thrifty
Make It and Love It
Now, I have the courage to finish up other projects I have. . .






I love it. The Cherry red goes well with your house! Yeah for projects, it keeps us sane while the boys are home.
ReplyDeleteThat turned out SO CUTE! I'm very impressed. We've refinished a few pieces and I'm always amazed by how many hours go into a making something look nice again.
ReplyDeleteWow! It looks awesome! I love do it yourself projects! Especially when they are finished!
ReplyDeleteGood job!!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! It looks brand new! I lOVE the color, you are seriously talented!!! I've been tempted to paint my cupboards, but I'm such a chicken... and black is very, very drastic!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! It looks beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteIt looks like "Candy Apple Red"! Very beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLooks great!
ReplyDeleteIt looks fabulous! I love the color--I'm too chicken to be so bold in colors in my home so I LOVE it when other people do!
ReplyDelete