*Warning, this is only the beginning of an onslaught of vacation blogs. Read at your own risk.*
Perhaps it's the countless hours and miles I spent riding in a VW van, a 1988 Ford Club Wagon, a '95 For Club Wagon, or the Mercury Sable as a kid, but I love a road trip. Even better, I love to watch the scenery go by. Of course, Western Idaho and Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington look the same and very similar to Nebraska. Okay, there are a few more hills, but not many until you get into Western Washington, but that's why I read the road signs as well. Every state has a way of saying things, and so reading the signs can be hilarious. Sadly, I'm not good at taking pictures or road signs while going over 65 mph in our car.
See what I mean? Here's the first stop we made on our tour, a rest stop in Idaho
We didn't spend a lot of time in Idaho, except to hang out with our great friends, Quinn and Natalie! They were some of our great Settlers of Catan friends during our days at BYU. We sure miss them and had a blast that afternoon, and Jackson loved playing with their very cute kids. Thanks for lunch, you two!
Also, in Idaho, we beheld a very funny scene. Imagine that first picture with a big green spot in the middle, and then call it the "Valley of Paradise." Yeah, you question that name, too? Thought so.
Driving through most of Oregon wasn't much different, except for this short scene:
It was a refreshing stretch of road to see green trees again, but you can still see the yellow.
Oregon's road sign: "Look Twice: Motorcycles are everywhere!" Um. . . we saw ONE motorcycle in the entire state of Oregon, and it was hitching a ride on a trailer. We tried so hard to look twice, even three times, but there just weren't any in the long, yellow grass or in between the trees.
When we finally made it to Western Washington, I found a new love:
Washington has everything I love: green trees, mountains, no need for sprinklers, wild berries, and threats.
Washington's signs don't mess around.
Sign #1: Litter and it will hurt. (Anyone living proof of this?)
Sign #2: Slow down or pay up!
The only drawback to Washington is that no one can guarantee me that I will see the sun nearly enough there.




I agree with you on the scenry thing. Driving between WA and UT, the worst part is between Tremonton and Burley--NOTHING! But What a relief when you get to Ellesburg and start seeing the mountains and trees. Oh, talking about this is manking me homesick!
ReplyDeleteAH! Settlers of Cattan?! WE LOVE THAT GAME!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the part of Oregon where my parents live (Medford) Its so beautiful and the green is amazing. I would love to live up there. I hear Washington is the same but like you said you have the rain.
ReplyDelete