Saturday, October 2, 2010

Name Origins

Have you ever wondered the meaning of your name?  Your family history?  Where you came from?  Or do you know? 

Let's get my first name out of the way right now.  I was named after a great-great-great-great grandmother (despite what the gentleman from back home says, my name is not masculine, albeit if it were French, perhaps my name was a unisex name like "Cody" or something, but I hereby proclaim that it is NOT masculine).  I have no idea its meaning because frankly my name doesn't exist in any name origin books.  Those stores where you can buy that cute paper with your name and its 50 definitions don't even have my name anywhere.  Basically, my name was made up.  So, go ahead and speculate away as to what my name means.

Well, I have a surname that is, well, frankly almost one-of-a-kind.  Chances are that if I meet another person with that same surname, and I haven't heard of them, somewhere we are connected in our genealogy.  I have an uncle that has spent numerous hours researching our family line because at one point, it just stops.  Since I believe that all men and women came from Adam and Eve, I know that my family wasn't spontaneously originated.  (Yes, my own term.)  My uncle has met or found just about everyone with my surname. 

My surname is most likely a Germanized Polish name.  One theory is that my surname means "mud" or "slime."  (Well, if that isn't a noble name, then I don't know what is?)  Another theory is that my surname means "duck" with a suffix added to it to make it German but can mean "cute" or "little."  Well, personally, if those are my two choices, I'll take "Cute Duck" over "Mud" any day.

The funny thing is that my youngest brother has taken to calling his daughter, "Duckie." At least he's being honest with his daughter.

Now we come to my husband's name:  Matthew.  Well, that's an easy one to look up.  It means "Gift of God."  I would have to agree with that meaning.  Matt is my gift from God (awwww).  Now, his last name is easy, too.  If you know it, look it up.  It's easy.

Now we come to Jackson.  Poor Jackson.  His name means Son of Jack.  Uh, yeah, what were we thinking?  Sadly, there is no secret story to his name.  Just poor planning on his parents.  Good thing he won't ever have to wonder who is daddy is because he looks just like his Daddy, Matt.  Perhaps we should change his name to Matteson or Mathison.  (That last suggestion is for my brother, Nate.  He's the only one that gets away with calling Matt, "Math."  I'm sure Nate would get a kick out of that.)

Anyway, what's the story behind your name? 

7 comments:

  1. I was named after my dad's aunt, who he adored. :)And Mary, the mother of Jesus, of course. I've learned to love this noble name that my father chose for me. :)

    Nate means "gift of God" and Elizabeth means "consecrated of God," Lizzie was also named after my sister, who is one of my best friends. My husband's name, Andy, means "manly." Woooo! Lucky me! heeheehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. heather is from the flowers that are known to grow in England especially, a la.. Wuthering Heights. My mom hates when anyone shortens my name to Heath. I thought it was Irish.. from Drummond.. but I looked it up and found it to be German. looking it up today said it's Irish so who knows. This area is German and Scots Irish so either combo makes sense. Drummond means back of the mountain and my moms maiden name Althouse mean high on a hill. Maybe I should be a mountain climber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Natalie means Christmas day and we all know how accurate that is. I am as fun as Christmas day! Benjamin means Son of the Right hand. Micah means like unto the Lord.

    The one that I love the most is Isaac. It means "He Laughs". What a perfect name for my silly boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother named me after one of Charlie's Angels. Every book I've looked in says that Jill is short for Jillian, which irritates me because I'm not a Jillian, I'm a Jill. Jillian usually means something stupid like "girl" or "sweet" or in my case, "Farah Fawcett."

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite topics. My name means pearl and I was named after the Pearl of Great Price from the New Testament. I love that meaning and I've always had a strong sense of self-worth because of the name my parents gave me. My middle name means God is Gracious. Bryan's name means noble. We've picked names for all three of our kids that have good meanings. Peter is the rock (unwavering in his convictions), Cooper is a barrel maker (or a hard worker, which is why we picked the name) and Phoebe means bright and shining.

    Like I said, I really like this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a lot of Mary's and Elizabeth's in my family history. (And apparently on this page as well). I used to think my first name was too boring and would get teased a lot growing up- Mary, Mary, quite Contrary, Where's your little lamb?, Mary, Mary, Why 'ya buggin?, etc. But I have learned to enjoy my name and associate it with royalty and the mother of Christ even though it technically means "bitter and rebellious" in Hebrew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will try to comment for the third time. I was named after my mother on the insistance of my father. But she did not want to be "Big Ruth" and "Little Ruth" as she remembered others when she was growing up. So she put Ann for my middle name and always called me by both names.

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you are thinking!