I tried calling Caitlyn's mom today, I promise. The guilt finally got to me, however uncomfortable I felt calling. This is what it was like when I called:
Man (assuming it's Caitlyn's dad): Hello?
Me: Hi, I'm looking for Caitlyn's mom. My son Jackson is in her class, and he wanted to play with her, so he asked her for her phone number, and she gave it to him.
Man: (chuckles) uh, well, she's at work, but she'll be picking up Caitlyn after school.
Me: Oh, okay, thanks. I'll try to catch her then.
Man: Okay, bye.
Me: Bye.
1. It was embarrassing not even knowing Caitlyn's last name or if she lived with her parents or grandparents, etc., and explaining the situation randomly to some man I don't even know. (I was secretly hoping for an answering machine.)
2. And now I have to figure out how to track down Caitlyn's mom at drop off and pick up while I'm not allowed to get out of the car.
3. Apparently, Jackson's not just going to forget it all because today he informed that he's not Jackson, he's Caitlyn. When he went to ride his bike earlier, he brought me his bike helmet to help him put on, and he told me that it was pink with flowers and hearts on it, "just pretend." He was Caitlyn until 8:00 when it was bed time. When he "came back," I asked him what it was like being in Caitlyn's body. His answer, "it was good." Yeah, um, okay.
4. I will see Caitlyn on Friday when I go to do lunch recess duty for Jackson's class. Perhaps I'll follow her out to her car. Perhaps not.
Any luck?
ReplyDelete