Two weeks ago, Jackson's class finished up a plant unit. It was a big success with all of the kids because they remembered the parts of a plant, and they made a plant journal. Jackson began talking about his own flower garden. Over the weekend, we let him pick out some seeds. He loved the idea of giant sunflowers. "You mean as tall as a beanstalk?!" He asked when we told him that they can grow up to twelve feet.
The weather was terrible on Saturday, and so we made him wait until today to plant the seeds. Together after school, he and I started the planting by figuring out the space where to plant them, and then we began measuring and digging holes.
Of course, when it came time for "Curious George," he stood up, announced he was going inside to watch the show, and then left. Yeah, I didn't tell him the show was on. His internal clock did. We finished the planting for Family Home Evening when Daddy got home. We are excited for our back fence to not look so barren any more! (Remember this post: Hug a Tree?)

I planted some sunflowers in my backyard. The ground has cracked in one spot. I think the first leaf is ready to come up!
ReplyDeleteI planted some giant sunflowers last year and the birds loved them. I left the heads on most of the winter so the birds could eat the seeds. Now I've got sprouts from seeds they missed. Sunflowers are cool!
ReplyDelete