The Race
This past weekend was a big one for our school . . . okay, Jackson's school, but since I spend so much of my life for that school, it's "our" school. Anyway, it was our big fundraiser for the year - our 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk. I had registered to walk the 5K, but I was needed behind the scenes, and so I just cheered the runners to the finish line -- which is always fun. Matt walked the mile while Jackson ran it, and boy, DID HE RUN!!!
Last year Matt jogged with him, and both were so out of breath by the end, and I could NOT keep up with them. Jackson got 7th place, I believe, and he vowed to win the race next time. Well, he sure was dang close!
Apparently, my eight year old son can run a mile in EIGHT MINUTES! What the heck?! That's awesome. As the first runners came around the corner to the last stretch towards the finish line, I blinked and squinted in amazement to see Jackson running his heart out. He was so proud.
He received a medal for first place in his age division even though the first place runner was in the same age-group. We named that kid the Overall Winner and Jackson received the first place in his division. He wore his medal for three days straight. He's informed me that next year, he will win first place. I don't doubt it.
Above: Claiming he came in second
Below: Enjoying his free dinner at The Brick Oven that he won at the race
The funny thing is that we found out later that he apparently had lost a shoe during the race. If you look at the first picture, you'll notice he's wearing deck shoes. . .yeah, no wonder he lost a shoe. (Not my fault, I was at the festivities an hour earlier than the rest of my family, so I had no part in dressing my children, haha!) I wonder if he hadn't lost a shoe if he would have won. . .hmm. . .
The Note
This morning Jackson informed me that his beloved Caitlyn was not at school yesterday because her grandpa had died. I told him that a good thing to do is to give her a hug and say, "I'm so sorry your grandpa died." He had an even better idea. He wanted to write her a note. It said basically the same thing, but after his closing "Love, Jackson," he added his tagline; "YouRok." I helped him change it so that it doesn't look like "You R Ok" to "You Rock!" He was so excited to give it to her.
The Love
Last week Jackson's good friend Emma asked me, "When Jackson says that he loves me, does that mean that he likes me?" She was pretty worried that Jackson meant more than what he said. I tried really hard not to laugh out loud as I explained that Jackson's "love" sentiments mean that he thinks "you are a good friend."
Anyone who knows Jackson knows that he gives his heart freely. You smile at him, wave, say "hi," show him any sort of attention, and you are his best friend. He loves you. And you can bet that you're going to get not one, but at least three bone-crushing hugs. He is so loving and sensitive to others that I just smile. He truly is a special boy, and yes, you ARE LUCKY if you get to have one of his hugs. Chances are if he hugs you once, he'll hug you again. :)
(This picture was taken two years ago. Notice Jackson's grip on his Daddy's neck. Yeah, that is the essence of a Jackson hug.)





:) Love that post! Way to go Jackson on your big win! I can't even run a mile in that, so I'm super impressed!
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed -- an eight-minute mile! Wow!! The kid is on fire; way to go, Jackson!
ReplyDeleteWow...that's a very fast time for Jackson!! That's amazing!! My money's on him for overall winner next year, just like he says. :) Loved your Mothers' Day post...you are an amazing woman. I'm glad to learn from you.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to Jackson!! I bet that meal at Brick Oven tasted good. What a great runner! Next year he'll be bigger and faster.
ReplyDelete