Last week was Spring Break, and we spent part of it in Las Vegas, and after leaving Matt behind, the boys and I drove to my parents' for the rest of the week. Matt remains in Vegas until Thursday as he has conventions and training and work stuff. :)
Anyway, I'd been thinking about making this decision for quite a while, but something my mom said pushed me over the cliff, and I decided to go for it. So, I should
Today, the tragedy occurred. Some very mean person "broke" all of pacifiers in the house after Cole's nap.
What, me?! How could you accuse me? I mean, I love that thing. It helps in church and out in public and when we're at someone's house, namely, when the tantrums start. It's a mom's fix, too, and apparently, I was addicted to it as well (which is what my mom pointed out).
However, I have grown tired of getting up at night to replace the pacifier because Cole couldn't find it. It's time he learns to comfort himself, and well, that I get a full night's sleep. . . ha!
I was worried, but throughout the day, I showed him the broken pacifiers, and he threw them and threw a mini-fit that they didn't work anymore. He grunted and threw himself on the floor at first, and then he forgot about them.
When it was time for bed, Cole found the two pictured above on his bedroom floor and pointed at the windowsill where I usually keep them. He grunted as well (his form of communication right now). He tried to put it in his mouth, but it didn't work. He clutched it in his hand as I read his story and said a prayer with him. As I lay him in bed, he started sucking and moving his mouth as if he had one and then smiled at me. I tucked his monkey close, he clutched his broken pacifier in his hand, I covered him with a blanket, and then said "Good-night." He didn't make a peep and hasn't yet.
Maybe it really is this easy. . .I can only hope.

Oh I hope!!!! I have only had the fingers (like Liberty) and a few thumbs. GOOD LUCK!!! Sweet dreams!
ReplyDeleteWow, no screams the first night? That is great! Isn't Cole talking or making sounds for things now? 18 months old and going into Nursery, big changes ahead!
ReplyDeleteActually, Ruth Ann, he didn't scream when I PUT him to bed. He did have quite the episode in the middle of the night, and he's struggling right now as I try to get him to take a nap. . .
DeleteCole isn't really talking yet, but I'm not worried! He understands so much. He has said a word here and there, but he really doesn't like to talk, and I know he'll do it in his own time. :)
Oh, good luck!! Hope it keeps being so manageable to live without them!
ReplyDelete