It is a very powerful talk. The statement that hit me the most is
Understanding the connection between agency and anger is the first step in eliminating it from our lives. We can choose not to become angry. And we can make that choice today, right now: “I will never become angry again.” Ponder this resolution.I read that statement, and my heart burned because I know that I need to make that resolution, but I wondered if I really could make that and not lie to myself. Do I really believe that I can make a promise and resolution like that and keep it? I'd rather not say it if I don't think I can. I believe with the Lord's help, I can. (Whew, that was hard to say.)
Hal Elrod talks about making visualization statements about what the Next Level of you will look like. I decided I needed to do this specifically regarding my current goal of controlling and eliminating my anger. This will help me to visualize actually doing what I'm affirming each morning. Here are my statements.
The next level of me does not loser her temper, say unkind words in frustration (including swearing), act in haste, nor physcially harms her children.
The next level of me thinks and relfects before responding to a stressful situation, uses deep breathing and affirmations to control her emotions.
The next level of me does not get angry.
The next level of me does remain calm, collected, optimistic, and happy in all situations.
The next level of me does not harm nor threaten her children.
The next level of me hugs her children often and tells them she loves them daily.
***Thanks to a dear friend of mine who posted a comment on my FB wall responding to one of my blog posts a few days ago. She talked about studying gospel resources to help her with her own struggles since overcoming our weaknesses is a such a spiritual battle and a war that Satan is waging against us and our homes. I am going to use the scriptures to help me dive deeper and work harder to master this skill.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Let us know what you are thinking!