Sunday, May 17, 2015

Open Adoption Perk

You know those parents that just want to brag and brag about their kids and how awesome they are?  I mean, if you have kids, you're probably one of them, right?  Seriously, what parent doesn't want everyone else in the world to acknowledge their kids' strengths and abilities?  Do you ever feel like people just don't appreciate your child as much as you do? 

So, having an open adoption is the answer to that dilemma.  I mean, I can text one of my kids' birth moms and just spill over with jubilation about something simple like Emily sucking on her fingers or finding her toes, or that Cole rolls around in the dirt, and guess who feels as much love and adoration as I do?  Yep, their birth moms!  Maybe it's selfish of me, but I love that there is always someone that loves the little silly mundane tasks and achievements of my kids as I do.  I know that if I send a text, picture, or email, that they aren't going to roll their eyes and think, "Every kid does that.  Who cares?  Sheesh."  I know they value that information and get as much of a kick out of it as I do.  The thing is, I'm pretty sure that they'll remember those dates and milestones even better than I do.

Usually, I find out a new tidbit about their moms as well.   For instance, last year when Cole was rolling in the mud in our backyard, I sent a picture to his birth mom.  Her reply was that he took after her because she was known to walk around all summer long in the hot, prickly desert barefooted.  Her family had an affectionate nickname for her, too. 

Now, maybe I'm being a little naive, and their moms are just being too kind and generous, and I really am boring them with too many gushing texts about how cute and pudgy their hands are, but I figure they appreciate it more than FB.   Can I overdo it?  Maybe, but I hope they'll tell me, and I'm sure they would since we are pretty open with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you are thinking!