Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Cauliflower Bake

I posted this on Facebook, but since I want to be able to put it on Pinterest and find it again, I'm posting it here, too. 

Cauliflower has become a favorite vegetable.  I HATED cooked cauliflower as a child and would only eat it raw with ranch.  I had NO IDEA what I was missing.  I think cauliflower is the most versatile vegetable God created.  I concocted this recipe after searching for "cauliflower mac and cheese" online and adapted it and made my own recipe.   So, here's a new favorite side dish:

Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
by LeMira Wheelwright


Recipe:
1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
1/2 cup fat free, plain Greek yogurt
1/4 c. evaporated milk or fat free half/half
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
6 oz low-fat blend cheese, divided
1/2 cup green onion

Cook cauliflower florets in boiling water (with 2 tsps low sodium bullion for flavor) for 5 min or until crisp-tender. Drain well and dry with paper towels to get as much water off as possible.
in a small saucepan on stove, combine yogurt, milk, seasonings and 4 oz (about 1 cup) of cheese. heat until cheese is melted. Stir in cauliflower
Spray an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish or use a non-stick pan. Poor cauliflower mixture in and top with the rest of the cheese and green onion. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.  (You may need to drain off some liquid like I did, but since the good stuff was all stuck together, it was easy to drain the excess water into the sink by tilting the pan a little.)

Makes eight 1/2 cup servings with approx. 1 green and 1/2 lean and 1 condiment.

Note: You can add some cooked pasta to this bake before putting it into the oven to make it a "mac and cheese" dish, but we are gluten free in our house, and I'm mostly grain free at this point.


I ate 2 servings because it was SO good!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you are thinking!