Apparently going out of town to visit my parents means that I boycott the blogging world. I mean, that's what's happening it seems. Of course, I seem to be keeping up with many of my friends' blogs, but I neglect my own.
Perhaps I will add more about my trip later, but I should say the reason why I'm here in the first place. Tomorrow is my dad's last day as a teacher. He retires from about 35 years of teaching. I can honestly say that my dad is the epitome of good teaching. Mr. K. has never won a national award, nor received much recognition; he has, however, influenced the lives of many, many students, athletes, parents, and colleagues. (I'm starting to sound like I could be that lady on Mr. Holland's Opus.)
Anyway. . . the high school decided to honor my dad this year by dedicating the year book to him. He has not taught full-time in the high school since 1991 (he's taught physics and chemistry for almost the last 10 years for one or two periods a day) when he switched to teaching middle school science. My family found out about the dedication plan near the beginning of the school year, and we (and the entire county) kept it a secret the entire time. The middle school principal even had to lie to my dad to get him to go to the yearbook assembly. My dad had no idea; and he was even more confused when he saw much of his family sitting on the front row.
I told my dad that I was coming to visit in the middle of the week because Jackson finished school, and I wanted to be there for the holiday weekend. In fact, I was trying to make it in time for the assembly on Thursday morning. Four out of seven children were there with their families to support my dad. It was awesome. My dad was choked up while the high school principal read the dedication in the yearbook; and then he delivered a great impromptu speech. He told the kids, "Don't doubt. Each one of you has the ability to excel if you dig deep and find it. I love each and every one of you." I don't doubt they know he meant it.
Today he brought home a poster board card from the middle school students. Almost every note said, "Love" in it. (My favorite line was "Your the bombest teacher.") You know a teacher is excellent when middle school and high school students tell him that they love him. That means that he has proved to them that he loves them.
I tell you this because if you know my dad, you do not think "love" when you first meet him. He was a coach for many years, and he is a straightforward person who can seem harsh at times. You always knew where my dad stood, but he always wanted the best for all of his "kids." (He told me today about a student that failed his class that he felt genuinely sorry for her because of the situation. Even she came up to my dad today, hugged him tightly, and told him that she loved him.)
Even more, he has no regrets. When my oldest brother asked him if he had ever looked back and wondered if the career he had chosen was the right one or if he should change it, my dad's response was, "Never. When you love what you do, there is no regret." I think my dad is leaving his profession feeling fulfilled as a teacher. He has loved his career as a teacher, mentor, and coach; and this week he has felt an outpouring of love. He deserves it.
I love you, Dad!
One more thing my dad mentioned is that the greatest reward a teacher can receive is to hear the words "thank you" from a former student, especially years later.
So, my request to you is to think of a teacher that influenced your life for good and send a Thank You note to him or her. That teacher needs to hear those words.
That's really awesome about your dad!!! And it's a HUGE deal if middle schoolers say they love you. Wow. He must be great.
ReplyDeleteI already have several teachers in mind to write a note to. Thanks for the challenge!
I'm so glad you were able to be in Panaca for your dad's assembly. He is really a great person.
ReplyDeleteIt must have taken a lot of work for everyone to keep the news to themselves. Congratulations!
Yeah! That is so cool that you could be there w/ siblings and everything and good secret-keeping! I kept checking your blog and reminding myself you were not going to post whilst vacationing but alas you did, hurray!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the boxes (or boxen?) for friends and we officially fed Matt so don't worry he is still alive.
And did you know that wax beans are for real? Cherilee planted some.
Bye now.
End of comment.