Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Follow Up
I just want to follow up with how today went. Maybe all of the stars aligned because Jackson woke up in a good mood and came home from school in a great mood. However, the couple of times when he did lose his cool, I didn't. I caught myself once losing it with Cole, but quickly changed tactics.
What was better different about today?
1. I started my day off with those affirmations.
2. I knew that if I wanted to have a better day with my kids then I needed to focus on them and connecting with them, so I played with Cole and had Emmy right there with me when she was awake. When I had chores to do, I had Cole join me and help me; when I was weeding the flower bed, he "helped" and played with the worm we dug up.
3. I was ready for Jackson when he walked in the door. I had wrapped up all of my health coaching business before he arrived, and I had a healthy snack at the table for him, and we chatted about his day. I listened to his celebration of his class winning their "Behavior Olympics" at school.
4. I focused on my kids even in the afternoon. I played on the floor with the kids, took a walk in the sprinkling rain, and just was there, even if we didn't do much. Dinner was a little delayed until Matt walked in the door so he could help out, but we were stress free.
5. I avoided the electronics when they were around. I was not perfect at it, and caught myself scrolling on my phone. The remedy? I turned it on silent mode and left it on the piano while we played so it wouldn't distract me and interrupt our time together.
Tonight I'm going to bed in a complete opposite mood as yesterday. Today has given me confidence that tomorrow can be great as well. Today I believe I can find ways to be calm to and control my moods. The days can be wonderful, and I can connect with my kids. Am I naive enough to think that I'm "cured." Haha!!! No, but I'm looking forward to more "Not Even Once" days ahead and more often.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let us know what you are thinking!